2012/2013 SWALEC Cup
Newport 95 v 14 Bonymaen
03 February 2013 - Rodney Parade, Newport

Match Report

Newport 95 Bonymaen 14 (HT: 57-7)


Newport MOM : Rhodri Jones (Photo courtesy of SWA)

Statisticians were checking their records when Newport had run in 14 tries for a score of 95-7 after 68 mins but perhaps surprisingly - with 7 reps on by HT - they failed to add to their score and it was Bonymaen - who had scored the first try of the game - who ran in the last with an interception on 78 mins. One of the B&A's tries was scored by Newport's MOM second row Rhodri Jones who ran from inside his own half to outstrip the Bonymaen defence to touch down to the delight of the B&A faithful supporters.

For the record Newport's record win is 96-0 when they ran in 18 tries against Penarth on 1984/5 and with the try only counting 4 points in those days it  was in effect a score of  114-0. However it was a record score for Newport in the modern cup an beat the score of 80-0 vs Resolven in 1976/7 but interestingly they ran in 16 tries - again only 4 point tries - on that day. However there is one new record to go into the books that of No 10 Tom Hancock who converted 11 of the tries for an all time Newport record. This beat Leighton Davies' 8 conversions vs Resolven in 1976/7.

Dan Robinson ran in a hat-trick of tries and joins 15 other players who have done this in the Welsh Cup for Newport but Laurie Daniel (5) vs Cwmllynfell 1971/2, Mark Morris-Jones (5) vs Resolven 1976/7 and Steve Willis (4) vs Neyland 1976/7 head the list.

Photos courtesy of Ron Sutcliffe and Simon Latham :

Iwan Davies, SWA writes :

Newport smashed their seven-match winless streak with an emphatic victory over Bonymaen that came close to re-writing the record books and set up a home Swalec Cup third-round tie with Swansea. It was annihilation on a monumental scale at Rodney Parade that nearly had Black and Ambers’ club historian Mike Dams having to amend his records for most points scored. But this hiding of Swansea side Bonymaen didn’t quite match Mike Watkins’ team’s 96-0 hammering of Penarth at home on October 13, 1984, (and you have to remember tries were only worth four points in those days) but it came close. The Premiership side outscored their opponents by 14 tries to two – and it made you fear for the quality of the Championship that the visitors play in.

Newport did show some excellent handling skills and clinical finishing but this encounter was little more than a training run. There was to be no early shock Swalec Cup exit after Ebbw Vale lowered their colours last year. It’s hard to believe but some Newport fans might have groaned and thought, ‘Oh no, not again,’ when the visitors took an early lead after fly-half Tom Hancock gave the hosts a good start with an early penalty. Hancock’s opposite number Mike Thomas went over for Bonymaen after some good driving play by their forwards. Centre Richard Cunliffe’s fine touchline conversion made it 7-3 after 11mins. The little number 12 left soon after in a dazed state, barely able to walk after being hurt in a collision. Newport then rolled up their sleeves and simply blew Bonymaen away. They regained when loosehead prop Jamie Jeune was driven over from a driving lineout and centre Dan Robinson demonstrated the difference in class as he tore through the Bonymaen defence from the restart, touching down underneath the posts. Hancock made no mistake with the conversion to give his side a 15-7 advantage. Bonymaen tighthead prop Greg Cunliffe was sent to the sin bin after 20 mins and scrum-half Stuart Allen joined him soon after when he was penalised for kicking the ball out of a scrum. A penalty try from a dominant scrum followed, and with Bonymaen reduced to 13 men, the Premiership side were cutting them to pieces, scrum-half James Leadbeater almost strolling over for try number four. Bonymaen had been broken, hooker Ryan Prosser cantering over for Newport’s fifth try. Touchdowns were being scored at will, open-side Craig Attwell showing impressive pace to keep up with full back Geraint O’Driscoll and take his scoring pass. Wing Owen Broad got their seventh try just before the interval, Hancock’s conversion bringing up the 50 points and his colleague Elliott Frewen piling on the agony with try number eight on the stroke of half-time.

Hancock had his kicking boots on and drilled conversion number seven to give his side a 57-7 lead at the halfway stage. There were further tries scored by Leadbeater, Rhodri Jones, Robinson, who got two more for his hat trick, and Alan Awcock (2) as the rout continued in the second half. The crowd wanted 100 points but it was the exotically named Barret Dufour who got the last, and somewhat hollow, laugh, with a late consolation try for Bonymaen, which he converted. There was some bad news for Newport after replacement tight-head prop Tim Ryan left the field in some discomfort with what looked like a bad knee injury.

Newport scorers: Tries – Jamie Jeune, Dan Robinson (3), penalty try, James Leadbeater (2), Ryan Prosser, Craig Attwell, Owen Broad, Elliott Frewen, Rhodri Jones, Alan Awcock (2) and Tom Hancock 11c, 1p

Bonymaen scorers: Tries – Mike Thomas, Barret Dufour and Richard Cunliffe, B Dufour 1c each.

Referee: Neil Perkins (WRU).


Official : Neil Perkins (Wales)

Newport Bonymaen