2012/2013 Principality Premiership
Newport 25 v 26 Bedwas
19 September 2012 - Rodney Parade, Newport

Match Report

Newport 25 Bedwas 26 (HT: 13-6)

One of Newport's problems this season is keeping players on the field - avoiding injury and cards !

The injury bug struck before the match this time with Craig Attwell injuring himself during warm-up and there was a serious injury to promising centre Adam Davies who broke his ankle in the 2nd half. Cards certainly cost Newport this game as they played around threequarters of the match with only 14 men. They lost Adam  Davies (yellow) and Hywel Stoddart (red) in the first half - both for "tip tackles". The red was because the referee considered that there was "intent". Newport have now picked up more cards than they have scored tries which perhaps tells a story.

To be fair the 14 men played magnificently and were desperately unlucky to lose to a 4th min stoppage time try from Dragons Academy centre Jack Dixon. Newport looked to have got themselves into a winning position but twice late in 2nd half the 14 men were stretched just too far and Bedwas scored two long range tries - one possibly with a suspicion of a forward pass?

Newport’s MOM was adjudged to be Scott Sneddon who contributed 20pts but not far behind was young 17yrs old tight head Alex Jeffries who improves with every game

Chris Kirwan, SWA writes :

Bedwas fly-half Richard Powell showed nerves of steel to snatch victory from Newport’s grasp at Rodney Parade. It looked like the other No10, Scott Sneddon, was going to be the match-winner until Dragons and Wales U-20s centre Jack Dixon barged over in the left corner in injury time. While his team mates congratulated the youngster Powell was already lining up the conversion – and he nailed it to condemn the Black and Ambers to a third successive defeat. After shipping 18 tries in their three Premiership games, Newport would have wanted to show a tougher edge yet their eagerness to be physical proved to be their undoing. They were lucky that centre Adam Davies was shown yellow rather than red for a tip tackle on Bedwas lock Kyle Maiden after 10 minutes but Dragons No8 Hywell Stoddart wasn’t so fortunate. He was dismissed on the stroke of half-time for clearing out a ruck in the manner that saw Brian O’Driscoll’s Lions tour ended by New Zealand’s Tana Umaga and Keven Mealamu in 2005. It was to cost the Black and Ambers.

Newport’s cards aside, the first half was a forgettable affair. The visitors, with Dixon a class act in midfield, probably edged it but the scores were level at 6-6 approaching the break. Then came Stoddart’s red, just as Newport were piling on the pressure in the Bridge Field outfit’s 22. Yet that blow spurred the Black and Ambers into life and the 14 men went into the break 13-6 up thanks to a slick move that ended with wing Alan Awcock crossing down the right.

Newport led 19-11 entering the last half hour thanks to a Sneddon brace either side of a try by Powell after a neat break down the left. The 10s continued their duel with a penalty apiece and it was 22-19 when a magnificent break by Bedwas replacement Ethan Davies was finished off by Ross Wardle. It seemed that Sneddon was going to have the final word when he took his personal haul to 20 pts on 80 min but there was still time for the other No10 to be the hero.

Newport scorers: Try – A Awcock; conversion S Sneddon; penalties – S Sneddon (6).

Bedwas scorers: Tries – R Powell, R Wardle, J Dixon; conversion – R Powell; penalties – R Powell (3)

Photos courtesy of Simon Latham :"

Official : Jason Langdon (Wales)

Newport Bedwas