Newcastle Falcons
2012/2013 British & Irish Cup
Newcastle 93 v 0 Newport
16 December 2012 - Kingston Park, Newcastle upon Tyne

Match Report

Newcastle Falcons 93 Newport 0 (HT:57-0)

Following Newport's impressive performance at Rodney Parade a week ago against the fully professional runaway English Championship leaders their coach Dean Richards came down hard. He was less than happy that Newport actually won the 2nd half 7-0 last week including an impressive forward try. He did Newport the compliment of selecting his strongest  possible side from what is an impressive and very large squad containing  of well over 40 players a number of whom are internationals. Newport on the other hand  were somewhat weakened and patched up and perhaps had one eye on this Friday's match against the Old Enemy. In truth Newport were never in the game. They missed a kickable penalty on 3  mins to take the lead and then it was one way traffic as the Falcons ran in 9 first half tries including 1 penalty try and then 6 in the 2nd half to send Newport to their largest ever defeat in their long history.

Newcastle march on to the B&IC and the English Championship and as yet are unbeaten and in fact would probably have been a match - if not more! - for many of the current Welsh Regional sides

SWA report :

Records tumbled as Newport endured a British and Irish Cup nightmare at Newcastle Sunday afternoon. The Black and Ambers were beaten 93-0 - setting a new ‘high’ for points conceded and losing margin. It was always going to be a tough encounter against the full-time Falcons, who have won all their games this season and are an Aviva Premiership team in all but name. But Newcastle showed no mercy against a weakened Newport on their way to securing top place in Pool Four.They scored 9 in the first half for a 57-0 lead and added 6 more after the break.The only consolation was that Newport prevented their hosts from totting up a ton.

The visitors did have the first chance of points but Scott Sneddon’s long range penalty effort fell short. Moments later it was Newcastle that were celebrating the first score of the afternoon, when Ryan Shortland crossed after great work by Jimmy Gopperth with Joel Hodgson adding the extras. The floodgates opened soon after as they raced into an unassailable 57-0 interval lead crossing a further eight times. To say this was a one sided encounter would be an understatement of gargantuan proportions; the Falcons were in complete control of every facet of the match. The Falcons looked like scoring every time they were in possession and unfortunately for the Gwent men, the hosts had the majority of the ball once again after the break with Luke Fielden grabbing a hat trick. The visitors did make one foray into the opposition 22 but any hopes of breaking their duck were soon foiled.

Newcastle: Tries: R Shortland, A Hogg, L Fielden (3)T Tu’ipulotu, R Lawson (2), J Vickers (2), J Hudson (2), Penalty Try, R Mayhew, Higgins; Cons: J Hodgson (9).


Attendance: 3933

Official : Neil Perkins (Wales)

Newcastle Newport