Carmarthen Athletic
2007/2008 Konica Minolta Cup
Carmarthen Ath 3 v 25 Newport
15 December 2007 - Trinity Fields, Carmarthen

Match Report

Carmarthen Athletic 3 (3) Newport 25 (11)

Carmarthen Athletic currently third in Div 2 West gave a good account of theirselves but in the end were no match for powerful Newport. The match was played at the new Trinity Fields ground just outside the town. Its superb new indoor facilities were used by Wales in their preparation for the recent South Africa game. Newport Coach Ian Hembrow was full of praise for the Athletic "They gave us a real challenge in the first half when three weeks of not playing made us look very ring- rust but once we shook off our early lethargy, we managed to produce some fluent and fluid rugby which will set us up for two tough games against Cross Keys and Bedwas over the Christmas period."   

Newport led by just 6-3 in the third minute of first half injury time through two penalties by No 10 Dan Griffiths to one by opposite number David Evans who was once on the books of Charlton Athletic FC. Carmarthen flanker Gareth Jones was yellow carded on 41mins and on 43 mins in the last move of the half Newport centre Scott Williams slipped through midfield to send full-back Michael Hook over in the corner for a 11-3 HT lead.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             In the 3rd minute of the 2nd half  Williams then scored a fine solo try, converted by Griffiths to make it 18-3. The Newport pack now had the upper hand with locks Matthew Veater and Mark Workman and No 8 Andrew Coombes outstanding and only  brave and desperate tackling kept Newport out but then the best move of the day finished off the home side. Replacement full-back James Dixon opened up from deep and Newport backs and forwards linked well before replacement prop Ian Evans cantered over for a third Newport try, again converted by Griffiths. There was a great run by captain and centre Steve Davies which almost brought a consolation try. Newport replacement prop Dan Evans was yellow carded for fighting on 76 mins before referee Matthew Aplin blew up on 77 mins with the Athletic deep in the Newport 22.       

Photo Gallery (courtesy of Kev Jarvis, FoNR) :                                                                                 

Attendance: 100

Official : Matthew Aplin (Wales)

Carmarthen Ath Newport